Finished Quilting Projects

Saturday 1 October 2016

Under the Sea Baby Quilt

Finally I can reveal this baby quilt that I designed for my future niece or nephew. My sister has assured me there is only one coming....I was hoping for twins ;)

My sister's nursery is a Sea Creatures theme. I tried to find a baby pattern and couldn't find anything that I liked. I knew I wanted to make something that the baby could use for a long time and the quilt had to be gender neutral. I had purchased a Fat Quarter bundle of Sea themed fabrics years ago and decided this was the perfect project to use them on.

I decided that I didn't want to waste any fabric on this project so I decided to make tiny HST when I was making the 'Bubbles"


Don't you love those goldfish! I think this was my favourite fabric out of the bundle!


This is the original layout of the quilt.


My original layout changed during the top assembly.

I made these tiny pinwheels with the tiny HSTs I made earlier.


I only had so many of them so I decided to make a top and bottom border with them.


And then I decided to quilt this one with a scalloped stitch to make the quilting look like waves.


I used Aurifil's Storm At Sea Variegated thread for the quilting and I really love how it turned out. And the backing has more whales as well.

Close-Up of the whales on the backing.

Quilt Reveal!


Now just waiting for the arrival of the little one :)

2 comments:

  1. Love, love, love!!! Those goldfish are adorable. I've never seen anything like that before. I like the top and bottom borders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't it come out sweet! Sister will be sew pleased! The quilting is perfect. I had to smile at the name of the thread. Enjoy your day! XO

    ReplyDelete