Finished Quilting Projects

Sunday 7 September 2014

Steps in the Right Direction

So I did not quilt as much as I would have liked to this weekend but I figured I would enjoy a bit more of what is left of summer. I did however finish my Whispering Lake Quilt top. I had a difficult time with the fabric for the border. I was trying to make this quilt from all my stash fabrics. I'm trying to use up a good portion of the fabric that I have here instead of continuously buying more. So I looked through my stash and I found one fabric that was big enough and suitable. But then I started to doubt myself since this fabric choice was a batik in purple and the quilt top is made up of prints. So I ended up going to a LQS and picking out a border fabric. I just loved the fabric that I picked out. So I put it beside the quilt with the finished size of the border and it just didn't seem to work. So after hubby's opinion, I decided to go back to my original choice. And the originally choice definitely suits it better. So I've learned to go with my gut!


Just love how this one turned out. I'm really hoping that the recipient likes it as well. So I just need to get the quilt sandwich done and then I'll just do some simple quilting for this one :)

So after cutting all my blocks, I have all these triangles left. There is a lot of them.

 Here's a closer picture of what size they are. So basically they are 4" x 3"


I couldn't just toss them away. Any ideas on what I should do with them? I was thinking of possibly sewing them together and making a couple of bags with them. Any tricks on how to sew them without my needle pushing the fabric down below the plate? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Hope you all had a great weekend :)

Julia

2 comments:

  1. When it comes to sewing from your stash, sometimes border and backing fabrics can be a challenge. I often have to make a run to the LQS for those... I figure it's better than having big pieces of yardage hanging out in the stash. As for the triangles, chain piecing them might help. Leftover HSTs like that can make good baby quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great. I also suggest making HST's.

    ReplyDelete