Saturday, 18 October 2014

Freestyle Quilt and my First Tahoe Tote

Lots of overtime at work has kept me from sewing in the evenings so I didn't have a chance to do much during the week. I did however do a little bit of planning for a quilt for a little girl for Christmas. I had some Flannel Bird print which I wasn't sure what to do with. So I thought why not try to use it for her quilt. So I started off by fussy cutting all the bird prints that I could get. They are all various lengths but the height of the square is all 4.5".


Next I cut out these directional prints into 3", 4", and 5" sections X 4.5". Then I started laying them out with the bird prints.

Then I just decided to sew a directional print with a bird print. I figured I would sew all those together and then lay out the rows. I picked out a pink flower print flannel to go between each bird row.



So then I sewed them all together and I am just waiting for the motivation to strike me to lay all the sections out. It's sort of like a freestyle quilt since I'm not sure how this is going to pan out....hopefully it'll all work out in the end :)

So I started up another project since I wasn't receiving inspiration for the Chirp quilt. I had borrowed this pattern from my mom back in July. The pattern is called the Tahoe Tote. It intrigued me because the description on the pattern said that there was six pockets in this tote. I always wanted to make a tote that would be more organized than the one I carry around right now. Anyhow so I started picking through my stash for fabric that would inspire me. My gray with pink butterflies definitely called out to me. I absolutely love this fabric. I picked out a few other fabrics that I thought would go well with the butterfly fabric. Then I had the pieces all cut out and sewed together.




Don't you love those butterflies! I had to run out to my LQS to purchase more of this beautiful fabric. I actually bought the rest which was less than 2 meters. I just love it! So this is the bag front.

Here's some pictures of the progress:




Picture of the front and bag pieces sewed together.




Outside of bag complete.




Very sturdy bottom. I used Peltex 72 which is extremely sturdy. I didn't know how to feel about using it but so happy that I did!

I forgot to take pictures of the process for the lining and pockets. I was just too excited to finish this up!

 Sitting pretty :)

 Inside view. Lots of pockets and space :)





Extremely happy with project....I will definitely be making another one....maybe one in every colour :)

2 comments: