Finished Quilting Projects

Sunday 12 October 2014

Vroom, Vroom and a Leaf :)

I woke up this morning determined to finish the Vroom, Vroom quilt and I got it done! So tremendously happy to have this one off my list! So here are a few pictures of the finished quilt.








Just love this one. I think the simple black binding just finishes it off nicely. Hopefully the client who ordered this will love it too.

So last night, I was looking through some quilt patterns and came across this modern maple leaf block quilt called Modern Maples by Amanda Woodward-Jennings. I thought it may be fun to make a maple leaf block every once in a while to break up the time I spend while making a quilt. And then eventually I would have all the blocks ready to go. I love Fat Quarter Shop's Mystery BOM quilt so I figured why not make my own block every once in a while. The only issue that I found with this pattern is that the 5 inch squares that are made into HSTs need to be trimmed to 4.5" before putting the block together. The instructions do not mention to trim to 4.5" square, instead the instructions make it sound as if they should be trimmed to 4". They are suppose to be 4" square when the whole maple leaf block is complete. Just a heads up because if you trim those squares to 4", every other square will need to be trimmed to 4" to complete the block. And you will have a smaller maple leaf block.

Here is my first block of many :)





I'm using a cream colour as the background fabric because I have a lot of cream in my stash. I'm really trying to bust my stash so doing these blocks is a great way to do that. I'm also going to be using some Fat Quarters that I received from Sew Sisters Bargain Lover Club that I really don't like all that much. I have a difficult time with oranges, browns, and deep yellow colours. So this quilt should use up a lot of those fabrics that I typically wouldn't pick out on my own.

So are you working on any blocks that eventually will turn into a quilt?

1 comment:

  1. I have an ongoing selvage block quilt... I have no idea what it looks like or how big it is. I just make blocks when I have nothing else to work on! Good idea to have a WiP that's not time sensitive... we all need things to play with/sew on just because!

    ReplyDelete