Finished Quilting Projects

Sunday 9 August 2015

Throwback Thursday.....on Sunday

I'm a little late to the party but I do love going back to a quilt that I've poured my heart into. Thanks to Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge for hosting this :)

I'm going to share my first ever attempt at sewing a quilt.


This is a giantic quilt that I started sewing when I received my first sewing machine from my parents. I received it for Christmas over 9 years ago I believe. I can remember the Christmas but I can't be sure of the year. I hadn't sewn since junior high when we had a sewing class. Sadly I believe that class is long and gone. Along with drafting, wood working and cooking. Definitely happy that I was able to enjoy those classes while I could :)

This quilt originally measured 120" x 120". I seriously had no idea what I was doing back then. I didn't know about chain piecing or sewing a 1/4". You can see where there are lots of places where the seams are not nesting.....some are even off by a couple of inches lol.

I finally took this quilt top out of storage a couple of winters ago and decided that it needed to be finished. I asked a longarm quilter to quilt it for me. I just wanted to have it finished. It was after all my first. I machine quilted the binding after I received it back. Since it was so large, she had to trim it down to fit in the rollers for the longarm. This project was my first and I made so many mistakes along the way. But I like to look back and think how far I've come. And even with all the mistakes, I still love it :)


Linking up with Throwback Thursday on a Sunday :)

3 comments:

  1. You know what? I really believe that our awareness of the mistakes fades over time... eventually all you remember are the good times with a quilt. I'm impressed that you took on such a big project for your first. Well done! As for the link up, better late than never! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a huge project for your first quilt. Kudos. Great colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to look back on. You have come a long way.

    ReplyDelete