Finished Quilting Projects

Thursday 7 August 2014

Progress on Owl Quilt and Stash Purchases :)

Well the progress on the Owl quilt this week has been a little less than I would like. Busy working and enjoying a bit of summer. Over the last few days, I have fused my branches and stitched them to the center of the quilt. Next was fusing one of my Owls and I am happy to say that I completed the stitching tonight on that one :) Here's a few pictures I took along the way.

 Here's a picture after the stitching was done on the branch and when the Owl was fused on.


This is the picture after I finished the stitching and stitched some feet for the Owl. I didn't mark anything for the feet just eyeballed it and I'm pretty happy with the result. Next up will be the second Owl.

I made a fabric purchase this week.....there were some fabrics on sale at one of my LQS and certain fabrics were $4.99 a meter. So of course I had to pick up a few. Which did include backing for this quilt so it wasn't only for my personal use :)


The one on the left is for the backing of this quilt and possibly for another quilt backing. I took what was left which was 7.5 meters. Next up is the blue dragonflies that I purchased for my sister. Really cute fabric. And I'm not sure what I'll do with the sunflowers but I bought half a meter of that one because it just called to me.

I also received my extravagant fabric purchase from Hamels Fabrics & Quilting in Chilliwack, BC. They offer some pretty good shipping rates and have a good amount of fabric. Shipping is free (up to $40) if your order is over $200. I was so close to it that I purchased a meter of fabric in order to get the free shipping. There was a specific reason why I ordered from this company. THEY were the only Canadian company where I could find the Snowbird Collection by Laundry Basket Quilts for Moda.

I'm enrolled in a BOM club from the Fat Quarter Shop called 2014 Mystery Quilt. I've made the two blocks so far and I have 10 more to go. In these earlier posts, Block One and Block Two show what the blocks look like. After completing all 12 blocks, you can buy the pattern and rest of the fabric to finish the quilt. So after calling numerous quilt shops, Hamels was the only one who had the collection. The fabrics were a bit more than what I typically like to pay but I really want to finish this quilt. So here is a picture of most of that beautiful collection.





I just love it so much! I also ordered these other two prints as well.




I was extremely excited to be able to find the Snowbird collection in Canada. I would have ordered it from the Fat Quarter Shop but after paying the shipping, US exchange rate and then customs, it would have cost me way too much. So I'm extremely happy that Hamels got me out of a bind :)

Anyone working on some quilting projects or just enjoying summer?

Julia

***UPDATE***

After publishing this post, I went back to work on the Owl Quilt. I was able to fuse the second Owl so here is a picture of what the quilt center will look like :)





Now I am finished for the night :)



1 comment: